Club Sport Travel

All club sport teams should abide by conference, regional, state, or national association competition rules, regulations, and guidelines.

  • Travel Policies

    From time to time, your club sport organization may wish to travel domestically or internationally as part of your organizational activities. The Club Sport Office is available to help advise you regarding best practices to ensure the safety and well-being of all participants. While club sport organizations are considered to be independent of the University, the College expects that you will take great care when exercising this privilege and manage your travels responsibly.

    Emergency Protocol

    In the event of an accident, emergency, sickness, or hospitalization affecting any Harvard students during a club sport organization trip, it is important to immediately contact the appropriate emergency services.

    • In the US: call 9-1-1 first and then HUPD at 617-495-1212 to notify the College of the incident.
    • Abroad: call the local equivalent of 9-1-1 (if it is safe to do so) and then International SOS at +1-617-998-000; International SOS case managers will notify Harvard Global Support Services (GSS) of the incident.

    The purpose of this protocol is to improve communication and ensure that the College can arrange appropriate support for the individual student(s) affected by the incident.

    Academic Commitments

    When working to balance academic and personal commitments with off-campus activities, it is important to weigh priorities and plan ahead. Travel should be planned in such a way that students can meet academic expectations without compromising safety. Students are encouraged to:

    • Plan trips well in advance for travel to avoid conflicts when possible.
    • Approach faculty early in the term to discuss their extracurricular activities and determine whether any accommodation can be made. Faculty members are not expected to make such accommodation, and students should adjust their plans if their requests are not granted.
    • Take responsibility for individual academic choices and accept the consequences of those choices without compromising safety.
    • Contact House/Yard Deans and club sport organization advisors to discuss academic and travel commitments well in advance of travel.
    • Contact House/Yard Deans when emergency circumstances (weather, travel delays, etc.) prevent a safe and timely return to campus.

    Domestic Travel

    When traveling domestically, club sport organizations should be mindful of the following practices to ensure the safety of all who travel with the group.

    Charter Services

    Whenever possible, it is best to hire a professional and reputable transportation provider, particularly when travelling longer distances or with larger groups. Please contact Harvard Transportation Services at 617495-0400 to discuss your needs and inquire about preferred vendors. Special rates have been negotiated for the benefit of club sport organizations.

    Student Drivers

    College students are adults, and the College expects them to carefully weigh the responsibility that comes with agreeing to drive other students for any reason. Students who elect to drive others should note the following information regarding insurance, vehicle maintenance, driver tips, trip planning, and weather considerations. Drivers should only drive for 2-hour shifts at a time. Depending on the distance being traveled, there should be enough valid drivers that no driver is driving more than a 2- hour shift.

    Qualities of a valid student driver:

    • has a valid U.S. License for the type of vehicle being operated
    • has a clean driving record
    • has experience driving the type of vehicle being used (SUV, van, etc., no 15-passenger vans)
    • is comfortable driving the necessary distance
    • is comfortable driving in the current weather (account for rain and snow)
    • is not overtired (please consider whether the driver will be properly rested at the time of travel)

    Student Drivers Must:

    • obey all traffic laws and posted speed limits
    • ensure the car(s) have the appropriate number of passengers, and are not overfilled
    • stay focused while driving; refuse to use mobile phones or engage in distractions. Nearly all states prohibit text messaging for drivers, and some also prohibit use of a hand-held phone. You are responsible for knowing and following the laws of every state in which you will be driving
    • not drive if impaired in any way (fatigue, medication, drugs, or alcohol) have a valid driver’s license
    • ensure all passengers are wearing seat belts

    Student Drivers Should:

    • limit the range of driving trips to locations within 4 hours
    • ensure enough valid drivers are present before departing
    • avoid roundtrips within a 24-hour period
    • avoid driving through the night, particularly if the students are tired from the trip-related activity
    • do a vehicle inspection prior to driving the vehicle (check lights, horn, tire pressure and condition, windshield wipers, fuel level)
    • plan for multiple designated drivers rotating driving shifts every two hours. Departure time and route plans should favor daytime hours; overnight driving should be avoided

    Automobile Insurance

    The University does not provide automobile insurance for students using personal vehicles for club sport organization business. If an incident or accident occurs, the owner of the vehicle would be required to use personal automobile insurance to cover the incident. If the owner of the vehicle does not have adequate limits of insurance, a claim could be made against the individual operating the vehicle. The personal owner of the vehicle, and the driver, can both be held financially liable for damages in situations where the insurance available does not adequately cover claims.

    Students using their own vehicles, family vehicles, or vehicles of friends should be aware of this prior to agreeing to drive for a student activity. Club sport organizations that are uncomfortable with this personal responsibility are encouraged to rent a car or van through preferred vendors. As a benefit to club sports, the University has negotiated rates and certain levels of insurance coverage with Enterprise/National that are available to club sport organizations. Additional information can be found under the Transportation Options below.

    Vehicle Maintenance

    Any vehicle used to transport students should be in good working order and be properly and professionally maintained. Individuals choosing to drive personal vehicles for club sport trips, rather than rent transportation to drive, should be aware that they are exposed to greater personal liability for this reason.

    Weather Considerations

    When Travelling Check the weather report before embarking on the road. In the event of bad weather, it is best to suspend travel until weather conditions improve. Students concerned with a late return to campus and potential for missed academic requirements should contact their House/Yard Deans to make appropriate arrangements. Student safety is always paramount.

    International Travel

    As students traveling with club sport organizations, you are responsible for understanding the Harvard College International Travel Policy, which states that Harvard-sponsored travel to high-risk regions is prohibited, and travel to elevated-risk regions requires each traveler to complete a Travel Safety Questionnaire and Travel Waiver (in addition to other pre-departure requirements). Harvard Global Support Services (GSS) maintains the travel risk ratings and updates them regularly. It is your responsibility to refer to this list to ensure that the country/region to which you are travelling is permitted by the College.

    GSS also manages the University’s International SOS program and can help prepare you for a safe trip and provide resources to keep you safe and healthy while abroad.

    Registering International Travel

    • Club sport organizations traveling abroad must register their trips with the University’s International SOS account.
    • Each individual traveler should register their own trip details and emergency contact information through one of three ways: via the Assistance App, through email forwarding, or manual entry through the MyTrips platform.
    • Club sport officers may register the entire group using the Travel Import Worksheet.
    • When entering their trip, students should select Student Organization Trip for Purpose of Travel.
    • For Program Name participants should use the following format: Club Sport Name. Destination. Term Year (ex. Polo Club. Sri Lanka. Summer 2024).
    • Once you have registered your trip, you can get your International SOS membership card.
    • Students are responsible for keeping their itinerary up to date in their International SOS account and with the Club Sports Office. This includes updating any changes to contact information

    Pre-Departure Consultation

    The GSS International Safety & Security team specializes in risk assessments, intelligence analysis, and emergency response. They also maintain working relationships with security professionals and international consultants around the globe to advise Harvard programs and travelers on the latest trends and developments. Contact GSS if you have questions or concerns about the health and safety risks for your group, or if you'd like to schedule a pre-departure orientation or consultation for your group.

    Medical, Mental Health, and Security Resources for International Travel

    Harvard University’s International SOS membership provides medical, mental health, and security advice, assistance, referrals, and emergency evacuation services to eligible Harvard travelers abroad. To expedite assistance, it is essential that all international travel be registered in either the International SOS MyTrips platform or the Assistance App. International SOS can be reached 24/7 by dialing +1-617-998-0000 or by connecting through the Assistance App.

    Harvard Global Support Services (GSS) website including Travel Risk Ratings; Harvard College International Travel Policy; Student Pre-Departure Requirements; Leading Student Groups; Travel Advice; Emergency Support; and Visa Services

    Budgeting and Financing Trips

    Your club sport organization must have the funding necessary to travel and travel safely. Planning a budget and necessary fundraising in advance is the best way to ensure fiscal responsibility and safety. Set a budget for the year and always plan for the most travel your organization may require, to ensure you have the necessary resources to afford your activities. It is better to have surplus budget money for trips your group did not end up taking rather than run out of funds for trips and risk travelling unsafely.

    Also, remember to book travel early to avoid inflated or unanticipated booking fees or ticket costs. Potential sources of funding for travel can come from individual member contributions and your organization’s fundraising efforts.

    Transportation Options

    The Club Sports Office, alongside Harvard Procurement and Transportation Services, have secured discounted domestic transportation options that can be used by officially recognized club sport organizations to minimize travel risk in the U.S. If traveling abroad, you will need to research the safety, viability, and costs of the transportation options available in your host country. Harvard does not recommend that students self-drive any motor vehicles while traveling abroad. Students are encouraged to use prearranged, secure transportation. Contact Harvard Global Support Services (GSS) for more advice and information.

    Rental Cars

    When traveling by car, students are encouraged to rent vehicles rather than use personal vehicles. Rental cars are best for local and regional travel within the New England area. Harvard has negotiated rental rates and insurance coverage through Enterprise/National at the Cambridge location for which recognized club sport organizations are eligible. Individual students are also eligible for discounted Zipcar memberships.

    For information on rental car insurance coverage for student groups, see Rental Car Insurance Coverage for Student Groups.

    Enterprise Rental Car Rental cars can be reserved through Harvard's Travel Portal.

    • $56.75 per day for a seven-person minivan or similar vehicle, 150 free miles per day. $40,000 worth of collision (Massachusetts minimum) and comprehensive insurance, under-25 fee waived, and extra driver surcharge waived.
    • Rental must originate from Massachusetts Avenue or Western Avenue Enterprise locations.
    • Enterprise will accept returns on Sunday at Western Avenue location or returns on Monday at the Massachusetts Avenue location without extra day charge if return is done at store opening.

    Terms of Use:

    • Must be at least 21 years of age or older.
    • Minimum two drivers on rental agreement - both drivers must be present at time of rental with valid driver’s licenses.
    • Must present Harvard University I.D. and be an officially recognized club sport organization of the Department of Harvard Athletics & Recreation.
    • Major credit card required.
    • Contact Information: Kristin McGrath - Enterprise contact for Harvard College student organizations - 781-937- 5032


    Zipcar ( allows individual Harvard students to use a car when needed without incurring the fixed costs of ownership.

    • For a reduced $25/year annual membership fee, Harvard affiliates can use Zipcar vehicles when needed (for as little as one hour) and pay based on how much you drive.
    • Low hourly and daily rates include gas and insurance. Zipcars are parked throughout the Cambridge and Boston areas.
    • Only the vehicles on campus can be utilized by Harvard affiliated drivers 18-20 years of age.
    • Visit Harvard's Commuter Choice at for more information.


    Zimride ( is an easy-to-use service that allows Harvard affiliates to find others with similar commuting patterns or one-time travel needs. Zimriders can view profiles for common networks, interests, and friends before deciding to share a ride. To reduce costs, it is possible to use Zipcar through Zimride.

    Charter Services

    Whenever possible, hire a professional and reputable transportation provider, particularly when travelling longer distances or with larger groups. Contact Harvard's Transportation Services to discuss your needs and inquire about preferred vendors at 617-495-0400. Shuttle buses and vans are available to university affiliates for charter to on and off-campus locations through Transportation Services. All charter service fees are billed by the hour with a 2-hour minimum. They can also provide referrals to preferred carriers who may be able to offer expanded services.

  • Travel Resources